Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.

http://www.dickinsonmuseumcenter.com/Osborn_Copy_Negatives_previews/Aerial_view_of_Dickinson_around_1914-005.jpg

Title

Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.

Description

A view of the railroad roundhouse. This is where steam engines would be turn around to go in the opposite direction. The roundhouse also served as a repair depot. To the right of he building are railroad tracks and railroad cars. Most of the railroad cars are cabooses. On the right side of the railroad tracks is a water tank for steam engines, a gain elevator, and the railroad depot. Villard St. is located in front of the grain elevator and railroad depot. The name on the grain elevator cannot be read. The name on a building at the corner of Sims and Villard reads J. C. Cartwright Co., Gen'l Merchandise. People can be seen on Villard St. Exact date unknown. Unidentified. NOTE: copy negative has specks on it.

Creator

Osborn Studio

Date Created

Around the year 1904.

Contributor

L.E. Osborn, Sr.

Rights

This image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Dickinson Museum Center. This image may be freely used for education uses, so long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this image file is permitted without written permission of the Dickinson Museum Center.

Format

jpg, tiff

Medium

black and white film

Type

.jpg

Identifier

Aerial_view_of_Dickinson_around_1914-005

Spatial Coverage

Dickinson, Stark County, North Dakota

Original Format

black and white copy negative

Physical Dimensions

4"x5"

Text

J. C. Cartwright Co., Gen'l Merchandise.

Cataloguer's Notes

This was originally thought to be circa 1914, however further research shows that several of the wooden buildings shown became brick before then. It is now thought to be taken in 1904 because the Klondike & Blackburn restaurants to the right of the Dakota National Bank brick building burned down in February 1905. The brick building on Sims with the words Hardware written on the side was built in 1904.

Physical Location

Osborn Copy Negatives Box. Photo Storage.

Ordering Info

http://www.dickinsonmuseumcenter.com/fees/

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Citation

Osborn Studio, “Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.,” Southwestern North Dakota Digital Archive At the Dickinson Museum Center, accessed January 18, 2022, https://dmc.omeka.net/items/show/1108421.