Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.

http://www.dickinsonmuseumcenter.com/Osborn_Copy_Negatives_previews/Aerial_view_of_Dickinson_around_1914-006.jpg

Title

Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.

Description

A full panoramic aerial view of downtown Dickinson. On the far left side is the railroad roundhouse, used to turn steam engines around, railroad tracks, then some warehouse buildings, the railroad depot, and grain elevators. Villard St. is the street in front of the railroad depot. Names on businesses/buildings/awnings, read from left to right, J. C. Cartwright Co., Gen'l Merchandise, (Klondike Restaurant), Restaurant, Dickinson Press, and St. Charles Hotel, on 2 awnings. The white 2 story building to the east of the St. Charles was a movie theater. There is a flag pole on top of this building. The tall building, to the north of the town, was the St. Joseph's Hospital. People can be seen on Villard St. The view faces to the north. Exact date unknown. Unidentified. NOTE: copy negative has specks on it.

Creator

Osborn Studio

Date Created

Around the year 1904.

Contributor

L.E. Osborn, Sr.

Rights

This image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Dickinson Museum Center. This image may be freely used for education uses, so long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this image file is permitted without written permission of the Dickinson Museum Center.

Format

jpg, tiff

Medium

black and white film

Type

.jpg

Identifier

Aerial_view_of_Dickinson_around_1904-006

Spatial Coverage

Dickinson, Stark County, North Dakota

Original Format

black and white copy negative

Physical Dimensions

4"x5"

Text

J. C. Cartwright Co., Gen'l Merchandise, (Klondike Restaurant), Restaurant, Dickinson Press, and St. Charles Hotel, on 2 awnings.

Cataloguer's Notes

This was originally thought to be circa 1914, however further research shows that several of the wooden buildings shown became brick before then. It is now thought to be taken in 1904 because the Klondike & Blackburn restaurants to the right of the Dakota National Bank brick building burned down in February 1905. The brick building on Sims with the words Hardware written on the side was built in 1904.

Physical Location

Osborn Copy Negatives Box. Photo Storage.

Ordering Info

http://www.dickinsonmuseumcenter.com/fees/

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Citation

Osborn Studio, “Aerial view of Dickinson around 1904.,” Southwestern North Dakota Digital Archive At the Dickinson Museum Center, accessed April 14, 2024, https://dmc.omeka.net/items/show/1108422.